Saturday, March 2, 2013

My Views on Language Learning

Before tackling French, I had been taught a different, unrelated language by an amazing teacher, and that language was easy. It is that language that first piqued my interest in languages. At the end of the first year of studying that language, I saw a French grammar book in a bookshop and begged my parents to buy it for me.

To my shock, I found French very difficult to learn after learning another language that I had found so easy. Many years later I realised that French is actually an easy language as are most, if not all, languages. The problem was not the language itself but rather the way it is taught, be it in a classroom or in a book. I have discovered over the years that many subjects are easy if taught or approached in a certain way.

I have started this blog because I am frustrated that a lot of people have to constantly struggle to learn a language, French in this case, because their teacher teaches them in the same way Aristotle's great grandfather used to teach the subject. Teaching should be dynamic and learner focussed so that the desired objective can be achieved, in this case to help learners become fluent in French as quickly and as easily as possible.

I hope that with this blog I will be able to help someone out there who might be struggling with a particular aspect of French by clarifying certain things or sharing ideas on how to remember certain concepts or rules. In the process, I will also be learning from the readers of this blog and look forward to a shared journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment