Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I certainly doubt the subjunctive is needed

In an earlier post, I wrote that one of the instances in which we use the subjunctive is when we want someone to do something. The correct turn of phrase for this in French is "I want THAT so-and-so does something or other". For example, to say "I want him to leave", we would need to say "I want that he leaves" or, in French, "Je veux qu'il parte".

Another common situation when we use the subjunctive is when we are very uncertain about something. So, for example, the word "doûter" (to doubt) is always followed by the subjunctive. The reason is simple: the subjunctive mood indicates something that is not happening in the real world (we have the indicative mood for that). When I say I doubt something will happen, I am saying that, based on my perceptions, in the real world that thing will not happen. Only in a theoretical alternate universe would that thing happen. Thus, for example, if I wanted to say "I doubt you will come", I would say in French:

"Je doûte que vous veniez."

I do not wish to say "vous venez" as that would be the indicative mood, meaning that you will come. Based on my perceptions, the only time you would come would be in a non-existent world. Perhaps I do not think you will come because I think you are unreliable or perhaps the event to which you have been or might be invited is bungee jumping and I do not believe you have the courage to do it. The point is, once again, that I firmly believe that in the real world you will never come.

Other turns of phrase that indicate doubt include:

Je ne pense pas que...
Je ne crois pas que...
Je ne suis pas certain que...
J'ai peur que...

There is more to the subjunctive but as mentioned in an earlier post, it is better to break it into bite size chunks and to get used to using the subjunctive in a few situations. Later on you can focus on some more scenarios.

Some good news for you about the subjunctive: between this post and the last, you have learnt most of the very common instances when you would use the subjunctive. You are therefore, if you apply what is in the two existing posts, quite unlikely to make mistakes in most instances as regards the subjunctive.

Before I leave you, I want to tell you that the opposite of doubt is certainty. Suppose I say "I am certain you will come". You could argue that there is not 100% certain you will come as yo uhave not said you will come; it is simply my belief that you will. That said, in my mind I am so certain you will come that it is as a reality to me that you will come. In other words, in my perception of reality it is a fait accompli; it is as good as if it happened. I would thus use the indicate mood. The translation of the sentence "I am certain you will come" is"

Je suis certain que vous viendrez.

Other phrases that are followed by the indicative mood indicate:

J'espère que...
Je pense que...
Je crois que...
Je sais que...

No comments:

Post a Comment